Seeing these again after so many years has made me emotional

Introduce yourself to the community - we're so glad to have you here!

Moderators: zuse, loves toys, styxlver_82, jeapos88

Seeing these again after so many years has made me emotional

Postby aurora_skys » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:58 pm

Hi all, I just stumbled upon this site tonight. I'm 28 years old and Littlest Pet Shop were by far my favorite toys. I have a lot of cherished memories of them. Finding this site and seeing these toys after so, so long has stirred up a lot of old feelings. I was kind of an introverted kid, more likely to play imaginative games in my room than anything else. I must have had dozens of LPS sets, and paw print club specials too.

I remember when my dad gave me the Cutesy Kittens w/ Kitten Playhouse set. It was really, really special to me that he had picked it out just for me. I named the cream colored cat Peaches. My school teacher took them from me the very next day because they were in my lunch box. Later when I got home my dad asked me why I wasn't playing with them and I was too ashamed of having gotten into trouble to tell him where they were. Then I felt so sad because I was so worried that he thought I didn't like them. The next day I stole the key to my teacher's desk and took the set back. She never even noticed that they were gone from her desk. To her it was all so trivial, just little kid stuff, but for me it was agonizing, I couldn't even sleep the night before. It's a story in my life that I will never forget, reflecting on it in my adult years it has taught me a lot about the importance of valuing the feelings and the private lives of children. My dad has terminal cancer now and just remembering this all makes me cry. He's always been a great dad, seeing that playset again reminded me vividly of how loved I felt when I was little and he bought it specially for me...

I actually just bid on the exact set on ebay, I hope I win the bid, I would love to hold those toys in my hands again and play with them once more. Maybe I'll show them to my kids (I have a few pre-school aged kids) and pretend like it's the same set my dad bought me. Maybe I'll show them to my dad and ask, "Remember these?"

Oh I'm crying too much now :oops:

Thank you to the people who set up this website and the toy catalogues, it's amazing to see my old friends after so very long.
aurora_skys

Re: Seeing these again after so many years has made me emoti

Postby jillrose » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:46 am

What an incredible story!! Sorry to hear about your Dad's current condition :(

Let me know if you win the set on Ebay or not. I think I may have all or at least parts of this set available as duplicates for sale :)

Welcome to the forum!
Most Wanted: fakie baby pets!
jillrose

Postby Nina:) » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:35 am

Welcome!!
Nina:)

Postby TequilaMockingbird » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:30 pm

Warm welcome! That is truly a touching story. Thank you for sharing with us. I'll keep you in my thoughts and sending best wishes your way. Lps has a way of comforting and bringing people together :)
You can't change your destiny, so change your attitude!
TequilaMockingbird

Postby ibuildabrit » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:57 pm

That is a wonderful story and I love how much meaning these toys have for all of us here. I am so sorry to hear about your dad and I wish you strength in the days to come. I hope you win your set and it brings you the same happiness it did when you were a child.

BTW good work on getting your toys back. Not all teachers are great.
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else, means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting.
e. e. cummings
ibuildabrit

Postby loves toys » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:01 pm

Welcome to the forum. Thank you so much for sharing your story. I love the part where you got them back from your teacher. :lol: I am very sorry to hear about your Dad. I understand how you feel, I have a polly pocket set that looks like a present, that my grandma gave me, I hold it very dear to my heart, especially since she passed away 4 years ago. To some these are just toys, to others they hold very, very special meanings. I hope you win the set on ebay, and again welcome! It's great to have you here. :)
loves toys

Postby Waylah » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:22 am

Thank you for that heartfelt story, it was lovely to read. If you don't get them from eBay I'll send you a set. If you remember which colour combination you had, I'll send you the right one. It's nice to have a good way to remember good things. :)
***Open for trade!*** looking for: 1993 case collar, mail-order puppies basket handle, and boxes and back cards

Wish list:http://www.vintagelpsforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=5339
Waylah

Return to Introductions