Any issues with PMing?

View rules and talk about updates with the forum.

Moderators: zuse, loves toys, styxlver_82, jeapos88

Any issues with PMing?

Postby sarafina » Wed May 28, 2014 7:34 am

A member here has encountered an issue with PMing, in which a notification that she has 1 new message shows up at the header of the forum, but when she goes into her PM box, there's nothing there.

How is PMing going for everyone else? If you've sent/received PMs and could let me know one way or the other (if it has been buggy or successful), that would be awesome. So far mine seem successful, but with the upgrade of the old database to a new one, all sorts of bugs have cropped up one by one. :roll:
Thanks to Lindsay1988 for my signature & Patty Krizan for the signature/avatar art!
sarafina

Re: Any issues with PMing?

Postby loves toys » Wed May 28, 2014 3:59 pm

I haven't had any issues sending PMs, but it does say that I have 2 in my outbox, but there is only 1 there. Other than that I haven't had any problems. :)
loves toys

Postby Saradavo » Wed May 28, 2014 5:12 pm

I have also had the email saying I have a message but then I don't once I visit the forum. It also happened to me on the old forum once, I think
Saradavo

Postby Notua21 » Wed May 28, 2014 8:03 pm

I'm not having any trouble, my browser did try to block the notification as a pop-up though. I'm using Chrome. I prefer the banner style the old forum used for messages.
Notua21

Postby sarafina » Thu May 29, 2014 12:50 pm

Thanks for the feedback so far, everyone!

loves toys wrote:I haven't had any issues sending PMs, but it does say that I have 2 in my outbox, but there is only 1 there. Other than that I haven't had any problems. :)

I think that the issue with having some "phantom" messages (something being indicated in the inbox/outbox but not actually there) might be the result of trying to move all of the old PMs from the old forum. Not everything was able to be moved due to our limitations with the backup feature - blah blah, you know the drama with that, of course. ;) So maybe that's why some ghostly PMs are appearing. I'll see what I can figure out to deal with it, though I'm glad to hear it's not a universal problem!

Notua21 wrote:I'm not having any trouble, my browser did try to block the notification as a pop-up though. I'm using Chrome. I prefer the banner style the old forum used for messages.

Just as an FYI for everyone regarding the pop-up PMs - you can set your preferences for them like so:

• Go to User Control Panel
  • Click on the Board Preferences tab
  • Go to the Edit Global Settings page (should be the page you land on by default)
  • Where it says "Pop up window on new private message", select "Yes" or "No"
Thanks to Lindsay1988 for my signature & Patty Krizan for the signature/avatar art!
sarafina

Postby loves toys » Thu May 29, 2014 3:50 pm

sarafina wrote:I think that the issue with having some "phantom" messages (something being indicated in the inbox/outbox but not actually there) might be the result of trying to move all of the old PMs from the old forum.

That's what I figured, I am not concerned about it :D
loves toys

Postby Notua21 » Thu May 29, 2014 7:39 pm

Thanks Sarafina, its nice to know I won't have that silly pop-up anymore :lol:

Also, just wanted to mention, none of my pms from the old forum transferred over here, I'm gonna guess its because I joined during the 'problem' time frame that didn't transfer here properly during the move.
Notua21

Postby sarafina » Fri May 30, 2014 7:38 am

Notua21 wrote:Thanks Sarafina, its nice to know I won't have that silly pop-up anymore :lol:

Also, just wanted to mention, none of my pms from the old forum transferred over here, I'm gonna guess its because I joined during the 'problem' time frame that didn't transfer here properly during the move.

Glad to help! :)

Sadly, that must be the reason. I downloaded each PM "table" in the SQL database individually, and yet they still didn't transfer completely, which I'm told is due to the backup feature limitations. :( The forum's content was just too large for phpBB's backup system to handle, even when downloaded bit by bit. The only way to get all the data would be to access the original forum's FTP...hopefully someday we can get a better backup!
sarafina

Postby MoondancerMilkyWay » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:00 pm

I'm a little confused as to what "outbox" and "sent" means but I think PMs are working ok?
MoondancerMilkyWay

Postby sarafina » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:38 pm

MoondancerMilkyWay wrote:I'm a little confused as to what "outbox" and "sent" means but I think PMs are working ok?

Messages in the "Outbox" are PMs that you've sent but that haven't been read by their recipients. Once they've been read, they're moved to the "Sent" box. :)
sarafina

Postby sarafina » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:51 pm

*bump* Is anyone having problems with PMing? One member mentioned being unable to successfully send replies via PM or save drafts. I don't seem to be having that problem but am curious as to whether or not anyone else has experienced it... thanks for your help!
sarafina

Postby loves toys » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:53 pm

I haven't seemed to have any problems.
loves toys

Postby MoondancerMilkyWay » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:32 pm

I have a huge problem sending. I'll go check and see what crazy message it gives me...standby

ok. i sent a message and it didnt give me an error. strange magic afoot.
MoondancerMilkyWay

Postby twincheckers » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:33 pm

I'm not getting notifications for new messages. Just accidentally clicked on my messages and had five new ones waiting for me.
twincheckers

Postby sarafina » Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:05 pm

MoondancerMilkyWay wrote:I have a huge problem sending. I'll go check and see what crazy message it gives me...standby

ok. i sent a message and it didnt give me an error. strange magic afoot.

Curious! If you or anyone else gets an error, I'd really appreciate it if you'd try to copy the error text and send it to me or post it here...that'll help a bunch. I'm still not having problems with PMs, so I'm trying to figure out how to reproduce the trouble...

twincheckers wrote:I'm not getting notifications for new messages. Just accidentally clicked on my messages and had five new ones waiting for me.

Hmm - notifications are coming through for me me. Are they ending up in your spam folder? I noticed that they started being filtered into my spam folder last week, so I had to fix that spam issue in gmail.
sarafina

Postby twincheckers » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:56 pm

Nope, not going to spam. Not getting anything when I'm following a thread and someone posts a new reply either. :(
twincheckers

Postby sarafina » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:00 pm

Oh dear! I'm still getting notifications for everything correctly - is anyone else not receiving notifications, in spam or otherwise? They'd be coming from sarafina.lps@gmail.com
sarafina

Postby MoondancerMilkyWay » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:39 pm

I do get the notifications, unless gmail is being mean. In which case I have a thread of the same message and don't realize...
MoondancerMilkyWay

Postby sarafina » Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:30 pm

Another member emailed to let me know that she's having trouble sending PMs - I still can't recreate the problem, even when I test out other users' permissions on the forum, so I've enlisted help from the phpBB people.

In the meantime, if anyone encounters any problems with PMing (or anything else strange), please let me know the details...the date/time it occurred, what the error message was (if any), what happened, etc.

I think that trying to merge the original forum's database with the new phpBB software is proving to be a bit tricky. :?

Feel free to post here with issues, and you can always contact me at sarafina.lps [at] gmail [dot] com. I'll keep you posted on what I find out from the support folks!
sarafina

Postby sarafina » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:58 am

Update: it looks like it's an issue with the SQL (*pulls hair out*) that resulted from trying to convert the old database. I'm trying to fix it manually with my minimal SQL knowledge.

In the meantime - if you are waiting on PMs from anyone or think that your messages haven't been going through, feel free to post here or email me...I can help you get in touch with whomever in the meantime.
sarafina

Postby MoondancerMilkyWay » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:49 pm

<3 you Sarafina!! Missed you today, the time flew by so quick!!
MoondancerMilkyWay

Postby sarafina » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:22 pm

MoondancerMilkyWay wrote:<3 you Sarafina!! Missed you today, the time flew by so quick!!

Awww heart you too!! I'm glad you had fun...I'm excited to hear more details! :)
sarafina

Postby sarafina » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:16 pm

I think that the PM problem may have been occurring with PMs over a particular length (though I'm not honestly sure what that strange limit was!). I changed the SQL code in a few places to hopefully fix the problem...so please do keep me posted if you have any troubles PMing. It seems to be something to do with collation...the old database's collation vs. the new collation. Don't really know what that means, but Google is my friend. ;)
sarafina

Postby MoondancerMilkyWay » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:31 am

I was getting an error message once and I thought it was due to length. then it wouldnt let me go beyond a few words so I ended up typing out my whole message in Word, taking a screen cap and attaching it to the message...
MoondancerMilkyWay

Next

Return to Forum Announcements