Resolved: Difficulties with posting

View rules and talk about updates with the forum.

Moderators: zuse, loves toys, styxlver_82, jeapos88

Resolved: Difficulties with posting

Postby sarafina » Thu May 22, 2014 10:49 pm

I've gotten a few messages from members who have tried posting but haven't been able to post successfully (the topic title will show up as being authored by "Guest" and won't lead to the thread...a big gobbledy-gook error is shown when trying to post).

I've been able to reproduce the error, and it seems to have something to do with the length of the text in the thread, since shorter threads are successfully posted. (The threads we're attempting to post are in no way too long, though, but they must have passed some mysterious threshold that I need to fix!) I think it has something to do with having merged the old forum's database with the new one's, since I encountered that error (just pertaining to a different table) earlier in the process.

It's awfully late here, so for now I've just posted a request for help at phpBB's support forum and will hopefully know more tomorrow.

So sorry about the glitch, friends...I really appreciate your patience as we work through these issues together. There are bound to be lots of bugs, and I suppose we ought to consider the forum to be in testing mode for now as we work through this! Trying to merge databases is tricky, so I'm learning more than I ever hoped to about them. ;) :lol:
Thanks to Lindsay1988 for my signature & Patty Krizan for the signature/avatar art!
sarafina

Re: Difficulties with posting

Postby sarafina » Fri May 23, 2014 7:50 am

I've created an anonymous user account for the phpBB support folks to use to help us get to the bottom of this issue...so if you see "anon" around, that's who that is. ;)
Thanks to Lindsay1988 for my signature & Patty Krizan for the signature/avatar art!
sarafina

Re: Difficulties with posting

Postby sarafina » Sun May 25, 2014 4:26 pm

UPDATE! I tinkered with the collation code (ahhh all these words I don't really understand!!), and the problem with posting longer threads seems to be solved. Knock on wood. ;)

So post those wishlists to your heart's content! Please ignore all of the test posts - I'll get those deleted asap. ;)
sarafina

Return to Forum Announcements